“The Hobbit”

Micah Maynard, Staff Writer

THE STORY
“The Hobbit” or “There and Back Again,” commonly referred to as the “The Hobbit,” is a high fantasy adventure filled with mystical creatures and heaps of imagination. It was published in 1937 and written by J.R.R. Tolkien.
The book follows Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who lives in a hole in the hill. According to the book,
hobbits are about half the size of humans, but smaller than dwarves. There is very little magic about them, which makes them a plain, hungry people. Gandalf the Wizard, along with thirteen dwarves, appear unexpectedly at Bilbo’s home one day, speaking of adventure and other things that Bilbo finds odd. They tell of Smaug the Dragon, who has taken over the Lonely Mountain, the dwarves’home, and stole their hoard of gold. Gandalf picks Bilbo to go along, and Bilbo goes along reluctantly.
THE GOOD
The story of “The Hobbit,” is told in an interesting way. The author speaks directly to the reader, sometimes using sentences such as “I suppose you know the answer as well as I do”. This makes it fun to read.
The book really lets the reader’s imagination soar with its dragons and other creatures. Books today commonly deal with topics such as school, bullying and other modern topics. They have a lot of new technology, such as phones and computers, and characters go to regular schools, where drama often occurs. “The Hobbit” has a sense of adventure that makes this book unique, allowing it to stand out against the common books of today.
There are very few pictures in the book, but the descriptions easily give readers a clear picture of Bilbo’s surroundings.
Bilbo’s wittiness and the fact that he wishes to be home make him very likable. The other characters are likeable as well, as the reader travels with them, following their journeys to dangerous places. The book also has many songs, which helps to describe the characters feelings. Not many songs appear in the books of today, so this is another reason that the book stands out.
Since the characters travel to faraway places, they journey to different spots in Middle Earth, the continent they dwell on. This lets the reader travel with the characters, pushing through their hardships.
THE BAD
Although “The Hobbit” has many great qualities, it still has its problems. The book sometimes can drag on, making the scene or chapter somewhat hard to get through. Although the book has great thrills, this can still be a problem in certain parts.
At times, the characters stay in one particular place for a few days, which ends up being a few pages or a chapter in the nineteen chapter book. The chapters are fairly long, which persuades the reader to keep reading through the slow parts.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Although “The Hobbit” has a few downsides, the book is very likeable, with plenty of magic and adventure.

Micah Maynard, Staff Writer

Micah Maynard is a 7th grade student at John Sevier Middle School. Maynard enjoys writing, reading, and playing his instrument. Maynard plays tuba in the...