Jessie Crowe Profile

Katie Lyttle, Staff Writer

Jessie Crowe is the newest 7th grade math teacher at John Sevier Middle School. She also advises the Science Olympiad team at Sevier Middle.

Crowe has been involved in the educational field for as long as she can remember.

“I was raised in an elementary school, and it’s not really that much of a joke,” she said. “My mom is an educator, and my dad traveled a lot when I was younger, so I’m no stranger to spending late nights, weekends and holiday breaks at school with my mom.”

Crowe has lived in several different places throughout her life.

“I live in Piney Flats now, but I spent the majority of my youth living in Georgia and Tennessee,” she said. “I have had the opportunity to travel across Europe, live in different states, I have been overseas, and have experienced many different places before becoming a Sevier Warrior.”

Crowe went to college at East Tennessee State University.

“I hold a Master of Arts in Teaching with a concentration in Middle Grades Education, that’s 4 through 8, all content areas, from East Tennessee State University,” she said. “I also hold a B.S. in Cardiopulmonary Science from East Tennessee State University. I am a member of The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key International Honour Society, and Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education.”

So far Crowe has enjoyed her time as a middle school teacher.

“Being at Sevier has been a dream come true for me,” she said. “When I had my interview with Dr. Flora before I was hired, I left that interview 100% sure that I wanted to work for her and be a part of the warrior tribe. The administration, faculty and staff, and students have made me feel very welcome as a warrior.”

Crowe loves when students grasp a concept that they hadn’t before. She doesn’t like letting her students struggle, which can still be productive at times.

Crowe’s accomplishments as a teacher are what every teacher wants to achieve.

“I hope that my greatest accomplishment as a teacher will be for my students to know that they are and always will be loved, valued, and can accomplish anything they set their minds to,” she said. “Every child deserves to have a biggest fan, to know how truly amazing they are, and to have hope for their future.”

Crowe believes that teaching is more than just a career.

“I believe that teaching is a calling,” she said. “I can’t think of any other career that could possibly be as mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting as teaching. I also believe that there is no profession more important than educating future generations.”

Crowe would recommend the teaching profession to her students.

“The world will always need amazing teachers, and my students are amazing. So if they want to teach, I would 100% encourage and support them to pursue a career in education.”

Before Crowe was a teacher, she was a respiratory therapist.

“Teaching is the job that I would like to have,” she said. “I love it. It’s the hardest job I’ve ever had, but I have never been so happy.”

Crowe thought that she led a un-cool life in middle school.

“I was super busy,” she said. “I played soccer, cheered, sang in all-state chorus, and played the oboe. I was also what I think the majority of today’s middle school population would consider super-nerdy; think frosted green eyeshadow, dark framed glasses, braces, always reading a book. I actually wish that I had embraced my inner ‘nerdy-ness’ more at that age, instead of feeling like I was so awkward and not cool.”

Crowe believes that students can teach teachers things that they would never know otherwise.

“Resilience, determination, how to laugh, and how to love,” she said. “Today’s young people go through more than I could have ever imagined going through at their age. They’re stronger than they even realize and give me hope for the future.”