Shavoy Powell adjusts to life in Kingsport

Shavoy Powell, originally from Jamaica, now calls Kingsport his home. According to Powell, his family was very happy to make the move to Tennessee.

mik

Tristan Balch, Staff Writer

Shavoy Powell, an eighth-grade student at Sevier Middle, has recently moved to Kingsport. He previously lived in Jamaica.
Powell had a positive experience moving to Kingsport from Jamaica.
“It’s awesome,” he said. “I meet new people and can open up to them.”
The reason Powell moved was because of his family.
“[I have] a lot of family over here,” he said.
There are some big differences between his life in Jamaica and his new life in Kingsport.
“[There are] new places and new people,” Powell said.
Unlike some people who make a big move, Powell was ready to move. He and his family were tired of living in Jamaica.
“They loved [moving] very much,” he said. “They adjusted. Neither I nor they disliked moving. We had been waiting for a long time.”
There are some differences between his old school and Sevier Middle, too.
“[There are] different places in the school,” he said.
His experience coming to Sevier has been positive. The students and teacher both have been welcoming.
Despite Powell not being able to see his friends, he says that his friends were ok with him moving.
”I keep in contact with some,” he said.
Even though Powell has just moved, he says that the curriculum is no different from his old school, with one exception.
“Everything that I learned or the classes are the same, no differences except for American History,” he said.
Sevier, compared to Powell’s old school, has many more after-school activities.
“When I was down there I didn’t have after-school programs,” he said. “Things are here that I can do now.”
Powell believes that the biggest challenge of moving is the new surroundings. Still, there are also some positive things.
“Meeting and opening up to people,” he said. “I was very shy in Jamaica, and still a little bit.”
Powell shares some advice for other students making a big move.
“Don’t be afraid to open up to people,” he said. “Don’t bully people and respect everyone.”