Musick comes to Sevier

New teacher joins science department

SCIENTIFIC MUSICK. Katrina Musick, left, helps one of her students grasp a new scientific concept. Musick joined Sevier's staff as a new teacher this school year.

Chloe McConnell

SCIENTIFIC MUSICK. Katrina Musick, left, helps one of her students grasp a new scientific concept. Musick joined Sevier’s staff as a new teacher this school year.

Charles Deng, Editor

Katrina Musick is the latest addition to the staff of John Sevier Middle School. She is 26 years old, graduated from ETSU with a Master’s degree last May, and is the mother of a 3-year-old boy.

Musick was born in Morristown, Tennessee.

“I like working in Kingsport, but I do not live here,” she said. “It seems like a nice place to live.”

In middle school, she enjoyed being a part of the Beta Honor Society and 4H Clubs.

“I loved to bake and try to grow plants,” she said. “I loved to listen to sad music and read classic novels, like ‘Great Expectations’ and ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’.”

After graduating from high school, Musick decided on becoming a teacher.

“I decided to become a teacher to help other people understand some really complex concepts which people should understand for their everyday life, like medicine, farming and cause and effect,” she said. “This all centers around people having a basic understanding of science, so I wanted to further society by teaching this subject.”

Before becoming a teacher, she helped manage several restaurants and worked in retail.

“I spent a lot of time tutoring my high school peers and undergraduate students during college,” she said.

Musick spent some time at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, but eventually received her Associate and Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and a Masters of Arts in Teaching at Walters State Community College and East Tennessee State University, respectively.

Although working at Sevier is Musick’s first full-time teaching position, she has already gathered some experience.

“I did student teach Honor’s Chemistry 1 and 2 at Science Hill, as well as 7th grade Science and Social Studies at Liberty Bell, both in Johnson City,” she said.

Since she had already made a connection with the faculty and staff at Sevier Middle, it was an easy decision to join the faculty.

“I helped tutor some of the students here a few years ago for the Science Olympiad with Mrs. Musselman,” Musick said. “I loved the atmosphere and the area. When I was student teaching in middle school, I decided that this was the perfect age group for me instead of high school.”

As a teacher, Musick likes to connect with her students.

“I love getting to know all of you and figuring out what you are interested in or what is important to you,” she said. “The worst thing is when I see someone in a tough situation and can’t help out as much as I would like; whether someone is having difficulty understanding cell division or if someone is having a hard day with their friends or family.”

Musick’s role models include several of her high school teachers, including two English teachers and one Psychology, Government and Economics teacher.

“Every day, no matter the shenanigans, they showed up and were there for me and my friends,” she said. “They worked very hard to find interesting things for us to learn about our subjects, but most importantly, they were there whenever I was going through a tough situation. No matter how small the problem, they would offer a listening ear and help if they could. I only hope I can touch at least one person’s life in the same way they did mine.”

She believes having a strong role model is important, and that each student should have somebody to look up to for guidance.

“I would push you to find someone who is willing to keep going no matter what hardships they face,” she said. “This could be your parents, your siblings, a local spokesperson or politician, a teacher, coach, etc. Find someone who when you think of them, you want to try a little harder to do the right thing and keep going.”

In her short time at Sevier, Musick has found a lot to like at the school.

“Sevier Middle school is full of students who are always pushing to be a little bit better every day,” she said. “I am so glad that both the student body and staff are so willing to have a ‘new day-new you’ mentality, which allows all of us to inevitably fail but to also be forgiven and grow from our mistakes.”

Musick has some advice for her students.

“I want everyone to know that while planning ahead is totally helpful, necessary, and normal, sometimes it is OK to just take things one day at a time,” she said. “Whenever life gets hard, it helps to take a step back and remember why you are here and that tomorrow can always be better than today.”