Former Scribe journalist Kristin Thorneloe interns at local newspaper

YOUNG JOURNALIST. During her time in middle school, Kristin Thorneloe, left, interviewed Coty Sensabaugh, former Sevier student and player for the NFL Washington Redskins.

Scribe Archive

JaKyla Chambers, Staff Writer

Kristen Thornloe, a student at Dobyns-Bennett High School, is a former member of the Sequoyah Scribe journalism program. Throughout her time as a student reporter, she learned about the different roles of reporters, and developed an interest in journalism. This year, she channeled that interest into an internship with the Kingsport Times-News.

“I love getting to talk to people and finding out the story behind issues,” Thorneloe said. “So, when I came to Dobyns-Bennett High School, I did the broadcasting class.”

Thorneloe truly enjoyed the broadcasting class, but she wanted to find more opportunities to explore journalism.

That is why she joined the work-based learning program at Dobyns-Bennett. From there, she was placed with the Kingsport Times-News in order to have a real-world journalism experience.

“The Work-Based Learning program is something you apply for and you have to bring up where you wanna work,” Thorneloe said. “Since I had a lot of experience with the broadcasting side of journalism, I wanted to have a little more experience in the written kind.”

Her favorite thing about journalism is the ability to talk to people, find out what’s happening and learn about the different points of views on the issues of the day, both big and small.

“I went to a farmer’s market during the school day to take pictures for live art,” she said. “I found a lot of little tiny stories. In that experience, by interviewing the different vendors in the area. it was really cool to see why they were there and what they were selling.”

Thorneloe also faced some major challenges. Her broadcasting class, and even professional journalism, is a very male-dominated work area.

“You’re trying to be seen as someone who works together and cohesively, not as someone who is bossing [others] around,” she said. “It is difficult to have that balance. If you are a woman my age trying to boss [someone] around, you are seen as bad.”

Balancing school work with her journalism work was not that difficult for Thorneloe. She was getting her newspaper work done in a class period. There wasn’t much she had to do. She didn’t have to sacrifice any of her time after school to get the work done.

Her favorite article experience was an article she wrote about how stress in schools in Germany stress in American schools. She had the chance to interview German foreign exchange students. It was one of her largest articles.

“It was a very in depth analysis of the comparison between how school is in Germany and how it is different in America and what role school plays in the impact on students lives and their mental health,” she said.

One of the main things she learned from her experience with the Times-News was how to work with people in a professional setting.

“I’ve learned from the people I worked with, and I hope they have learned from me, too,” she said.
When she grows up, Thorneloe wants to be some type of journalist, whether it be a photographer or broadcast journalist.

“I’m not so sure about writing because it’s going a bit down hill,” she said. “Lots of people are getting laid off. It’s not much of a growing industry right now. I’d rather do something that has more potential for a career, such as broadcasting.”

Thorneloe has some advice for students interested in pursuing journalism.

“Traits that make a good journalist are the ability to learn and be curious about the things you are reporting,” she said. “A story is something you have to dig for and having that curiosity is a very important trait in a journalist.”