Vicki Stoops reflects on front office administrative assistant job

Katie Lyttle, Staff Writer

For a couple of years now, Vicky Stoops has been the school secretary at John Sevier Middle School.

Before Stoops took the secretary job, she was a substitute and an instructional assistant.

“I worked in customer service as a supervisor prior to coming to JSMS,” Stoops said. “I worked in the Communications field.”

Stoops has many responsibilities at Sevier.

“One of my responsibilities at Sevier is to arrange a bus for students who stay for after school tutoring,” she said.

Other than arranging buses, Stoops answers the phone, arranges substitutes and has attendance responsibilities. These include keeping track of absences, medical excuses, late arrivals, and early dismissals. Stoops also has to enter all referrals and help students when they need assistance calling home or finding a lost item.

“Another responsibility is printing attendance reports and checking attendance to insure everyone is accounted for in the event of an emergency or fire drill,” she said. “It is important to know information about students who have left early, to insure every student is accounted for in the school.”

Stoops has had many strange experiences. She said that riding the bus with a new bus driver was her most interesting one.

“One afternoon, we had 16 students who stayed for tutoring and needed the bus for transportation home,” Stoops said. “We required two buses since we had so many students. The first bus left with part of the group of students. It was some time before the second bus arrived. I stayed with the other students, and the bus driver said, ‘I hope you are riding with me’. The bus driver had just moved here, she was not familiar with the area, and she had left her phone in her car. It was surprising how many students could not tell us their home address and any landmarks near their home. We took my phone, typing in each address, following directions and took the students home. We arrived back at school at 6:00 pm.”

When Stoops is not at work, she enjoys many different hobbies.

“I love to read and listen to music,” she said. “Both reading and music help me to unwind. I love to walk and also enjoy going to Zumba exercise class. I also love spending time with my family.”

Last year, Stoops received the Margaret Ayers Humanitarian Award. This award is given to a person because they go above and beyond in helping everyone around them.

It honors Margaret Ayers who showed great concern for everyone around her. She was a language arts teacher 39 years ago. It is given yearly at the eighth grade awards program.

“One of my fondest memories was winning the Margaret Ayers Humanitarian Award last year,” she said. “It is an award in which your peers vote for you, and it was an amazing surprise to win the award. Julie Potts secretly arranged for my husband to be there, which meant so much to me.”

Stoops has a special place in her heart for Sevier Middle.

“I have loved Sevier since the first day I arrived,” she said. “I love to be able to help people and also love to stay busy. It seemed like a job for me.”

Like most staff members, Stoops likes helping students.

“My favorite part of my job is helping our students and staff,” she said. “I consider each student and staff member my customer. My least favorite part is being disrespected by students.”

Stoops is very fond of her position.

“I love my job at Sevier,” Stoops said. “I love the staff, students, and families that I work with every day. Sevier is my home from home.”