Basketball player breaks 3-point school record

Isabella Wilkinson, Staff Writer

William Karst, 8th grader at Sevier, on the basketball team broke a school record during the recent basketball season.

“I broke the record for the most three-pointers in a game for Sevier,” Karst said. “We were playing Vance Middle School; it was Monday night, November 14, and my point guard, Zane Whitson, was the main reason for it and I have to thank him.”

Karst was as surprised as his team mates that he broke this record.

“I couldn’t believe until the next day to be honest,” he said.

What does it take to break a record? It all starts with an inspiration.

“Larry Bird [is my inspiration] because he came from a small town and became an NBA All-Star, which makes me feel anything is possible,” Karst said.

Inspiration is only the first step to fulfilling one’s dreams.

“Shooting threes and making new shots is what got me started,” Karst said.

It takes a lot of effort to be part of a basketball team, and sometimes, bad moments happen. Karst is no different. He has had his share of bad moments on the basketball court.

“This year, it was losing to Liberty Bell by one point and me not scoring at all,” he said.

Training to be a record-breaking athlete is all about hard work.

“You just have to work every day and be determined to be the best of your abilities,” Karst said. “It takes hard work, motivation and determination. These separate the good athletes from the great ones.”

Sometimes the hard work is not just on the basketball court, but in the classroom.

“School always comes first,” Karst said, “but sometimes you have late nights staying up and doing your work. For example, I have had to stay up until 1:00am.”

When hard work comes along, Karst relies on his coaches, teammates and parents. He is particularly fond of basketball coach Aaron Gourley.

“He’s one of the best coaches you could have,” he said “I think that we are pretty tight, he coached my brother and now me.”

Kart also has strong praise for his team.

“We have a great relationship,” he said. “That’s why we have only lost one game this year.”

His team was also supportive when he broke the three-pointer record.

“They went crazy and celebrated with me,” William says.

Karst also feels that his parents’ support is important to his success.

“They support me fully, and I think without them I wouldn’t be where I am in the sport,” he said.

Basketball has provided Karst with many choices for the future.

“In basketball, I would really like to play in high school, but in college, golf is the best way for me,” he said.

In the end, Karst believes that he could not have broken the record without the help of others.

“I’m thankful for my parents supporting me,” he said. “Nobody realizes how much our bench does for us. They really helped me beat that record. Also, Papa G is the best coach I have ever had,” he said.

Karst also has some advice for fellow athletes.

“Never give up on your dreams,” he said