Students should stay involved in sports

THE CROWD GOES WILD. Sevier students cheer for their basketball team during the annual Tribe Classic. Nationwide, participation in school sports in down.

Sophie Williams

Maddison Ball, Staff Writer

The participation rate of kids ages 6 through 12 playing sports has decreased by over 8% in the past decade.

According to the Washington Post, almost 45 percent of children ages 6 to 12 played a team sport in 2008. Now, only about 37 percent of children participate in a team sport.

High Schools are also affected. According to The Annual High School Athletics Participation Survey, participation in high school sports declined in the 2018 to 2019 school year for the first time in 30 years.

There has been a decrease of over 40,000 students joining sports. That is very bad news. There are multiple reasons kids should stay involved in sports.

It is important for children to stay involved in sports to promote physical fitness. Sports can improve your endurance, breathing, and strengthen muscles.

According to The British Journal of Medicine, exercise is one of the least expensive ways to stay healthy. Some examples of inexpensive exercises could include running, stretching and dancing. All of these activities happen in some form or another in school sports activities.

Playing sports can improve things such as joints and bone strength, and it can also help control weight. Having healthier bones can reduce the amount of fractures and protects the brain and other organs. One way to strengthen your bones is to exercise and eat healthy foods.

Sports can improve mental health, just like physical health. Sports can boost self confidence since the team encourages each member. Winning a game also boosts confidence. Sports also help with stress. Sports can even improve the mind because athletes have to think and come up with a strategy.

Children who play sports and exercise are more engaged in learning, according to a study that tracked kids from kindergarten through fourth grade. Physical activity in general leads to improved academic achievement. Participating in physical activities for at least 30 minutes a week can provide mental benefits such as critical thinking, better concentration and better judgment.

Sports can also teach life skills such as teamwork. Athletes learn to work together as a team to reach a goal together.

Another life skill sports can teach young athletes is leadership and perseverance. Even in the face of obstacles, athletes have to find a way to get through or find a way around a problem. This is an important skill for every adult.

The children that have never had the opportunity and the children who have decided to quit playing sports are not benefiting from the multiple advantages that may be offered to them in the future. These same children may not have the same work ethic as those children who participate in sports.

College students who play sports are likely to be more successful. According to the Women’s Sports Foundation, high school athletes are more likely to graduate from a four-year college compared to non-athletes. Children who played sports in school are more likely to have a better paying job in the future.

Although children should stay involved in sports, their sports involvement will not be the final factor for their success in life. However, sports can enhance their chances at future success. Students should keep getting the benefits from school sports.