“Club Time” was never necessary

Balu Pushkas, Co-Editor in Chief

Last school year, John Sevier Middle School decided to create club time, but this year, administration decided to take it away. “Was it really this bad?”, a reader may ask. The answer is yes, it was.

In 2017, Sevier Middle temporarily added Club Time to its schedule. Club Time was supposed to be a time of fun and enjoyment that was used for a variety of activities, including Retro Gaming, Jazz Band, Scrapbooking, and many others.

This year, Club Time was removed from this schedule. Many students are mad about the loss, but the benefits of Club Time did not outweigh its drawbacks. Although it was fun, 45 minutes per week were wasted that could have been used for more productive activities. The loss of club time was a blessing.

Now, there will be arguments in favor of Club Time, despite the sound logic against it. A defender might say that it was a great time for kids to socialize and relax their brains. True, but they have plenty of time to socialize in the morning, when they get 45 minutes to talk with their friends in the gym. Most students also have cellphones to communicate with their friends. There is also time to talk with friends in class; some teachers allow talking while working.

What about relaxation? Students don’t need time during school to relax. Club time was at the end of the day anyway; if they waited about an hour longer, they could relax all they wanted when they got home.

Club Time truly was an unnecessary practice. All it did was eat up time. It rarely, if ever, produced anything worthwhile.

It is important to remember that the focus of school is the education of students. Club Time hindered that goal. In order to create Club Time, the school administration used one day of “Tribe Time” for clubs. While “Tribe Time” itself does not seem important enough to hinder education, it is a fact that “Tribe Time” was made up of 10 minutes taken from each academic class. This means that, instead of using this time for academic classes, it was used for an ineffective period that contributed nothing to the education of the students.

Some students might interject that Club Time taught kids important things. Although a club here or there may have been using this time to the fullest in order to get their students ahead of the game, such as orchestra, jazz band, and science olympiad, the majority of the clubs were for the fun and enjoyment of the students

But there is room for compromise. If some teachers and students really want to have a club, they could just host it after school.

Club Time was a serious miscalculation. After all, 45 minutes per week adds up to 1620 minutes per school year, or about 27 hours. This is literally more than a day’s worth of teaching time ripped from the hands of teachers, who are already struggling to cram a lengthy curriculum into a short school year.

Despite the fact that many students will likely want Club Time back, it is in the best interest of the school and the students to leave it gone. Club Time was merely a leach on the resources and the time of students and teachers alike. Instead, now that both “Tribe Time” and clubs are gone, the teachers are able to take a bit more time to explain lessons and help those who need help to grasp the concepts.

There are some positive things that may have been lost with the removal of Club Time, but in the long run it is definitely, indisputably for the betterment of Sevier’s students.

Balu Pushkas, Student Life Editor

Balu Pushkas is a 7th grader at John Sevier Middle School. Pushkas is a fan of reading, science and history. Pushkas plays the baritone in the John Sevier...