Guns need more regulations

Cierra Mitchell, Staff Writer

Ninety-Six deaths daily; 1 3,000 gun homicides yearly; seven minors die each day. Those are just a few of American gun violence statistics.

That is why the time has come to add new regulations to gun ownership.

What is gun control? It is a modification of use for a citizens’ use of firearms. Generally, members of the Republican party believe that guns should not be regulated. Members of the Democrat party, however, believe in more strict regulations on the use of guns.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, approximately one hundred people in America will be shot dead today. According to the British newspaper “Independent”, the United Kingdom only sees about 50 people die from guns each year. America more than doubles the yearly deaths of the UK in a single day.

To fight new gun regulations, many will say “what about my rights?”. This is great question. Many may see gun control as a bad thing, or to be taking away one’s rights. The right to bear arms is, after all, in the Bill of Rights.

Really, gun control is simply putting fewer civilians in danger at the barrel of a gun.

Many people criticize gun control, saying that if someone is intent on killing, they will still kill, even without a gun. Even so, taking away certain guns such as assault rifles, will substantially lower the number of deaths. Our goal should be to stop people from killing, not to make it easier for them.

Now, there is no perfect solution, but there is something Americans can do about gun-related deaths, rather than letting them happen.

So, what about protection of one’s family? Gun control does not take away all guns, or at least it should not. Think of it as controlling the sugar consumption in someone’s diet. It is not taking away all sugar, but it is restricting an unhealthy amount of it.

Do every-day people really need assault rifles? No. Do those with a history of mental illness need to own guns? Probably not.

Prejudice also plays a major role in the death count. “Every Town” is a nonpartisan group doing research into gun violence. According to their research, black men are 13 times more likely to be killed by a gun than white men. In addition, fifty women each month are killed by their partner with a gun.

There is a need for stricter gun regulations. As Americans, we cannot continue to let nearly 100 people die each day. Enough is enough.

Cierra Mitchell, Staff Writer

Cierra Mitchell is an 8th grade student at John Sevier Middle School. Mitchell enjoys writing, reading, and music. Mitchell also plays the violin in Orchestra....