Sevier’s play should switch it up sometimes and not be a musical

Lebette Long, Entertainment Editor

Musicals are a hotly discussed topic in recent years. Musicals are extremely popular nowadays considering the way that they can make the audience feel and how popular broadway musicals have become. Musicals like the huge hit “Hamilton” have made people take a closer look at musicals again.

Just because musicals are so popular, however, doesn’t mean that plays are any less exciting or interesting. Take “Romeo and Juliet”, for example. It’s not a musical and is still one of the most famous and celebrated plays of all times. In fact, basically all of William Shakespeare’s plays are not musicals and yet they are celebrated.

Not everyone prefers musicals. Many people consider the music obnoxious, like it is almost casting out acting completely. Why do the performers need to sing? Aren’t the performers acting well enough that they have to ruin the story with a musical performance? Who just starts singing a song in the middle of a dramatic scene, anyway?

At John Sevier Middle School, there have been way too many musicals and not enough plays. Musicals do happen to bring joy and an uplifting feeling, but plays can be just as entertaining and fun.

Plays require more discipline and actually help with brain stimulation. Memorizing the script without music is more difficult, because music is considered catchy, so it sticks in your brain easier than just words.

Shakespeare is immortal to every theatre fan, and he wrote plays instead of musicals. Plays are more intriguing and superior; you could say they are more poised and professional. Plays allow the audience to hang on to every word. Musicals are often just loud and over the top.

At Sevier, there should be room for both. For over 20 years, students have performed nothing but musicals. Why not do both? Why not do a play one year and a musical the next year?

Only performing musicals means that all of the talented students who don’t want to sing are left out. Why not give them a chance to shine, too?

Plays are just as interesting as musicals and need to be performed just as much as plays. They should be more popular in schools. We need diversity in a world of repetition.