The right to bear arms is necessary

Seth Kinsler, Staff Writer

Why should Americans lose their rights to bear arms? Guns are useful in many different ways, including hunting and protection.

Because of the latest crimes, such as the school shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School, lawful gun owners are supposed to be punished because of a gun’s use in these crimes.

The majority of Americans believe that adding more regulations for guns is the best option. By enacting these regulations, however, the government would create many new flaws.

Restricting guns will limit hunting and some types of sports involving guns. Gun control could also prevent people from defending themselves.

The best option to help stop gun violence is to teach people about guns and to allow more guns, with only some regulations.

People should be more worried about getting illegal firearms off the streets. Illegal firearms are almost always untraceable. In addition, it doesn’t take a lot to buy an illegal firearm.

Illegal firearms are what make crimes occur. Many people get their hands on illegal weapons; they could also just steal them from the rightful owner.

In addition, there is also no correlation between waiting periods and murder and robbery rates. Just because somebody has to wait to buy a gun legally, doesn’t mean crimes are stopped.

By instituting gun control, the government would remove the use of guns in self defense. People’s right to own guns is also protected by the US Constitution’s Second Amendment; this amendment is intended to protect gun ownership of all able-bodied individuals.

Guns also have a very high price tag, and require people to take a safety course, and earn a permit. They also require people to not have a criminal record, and people are required to be at least 18 years old to own a gun.

Legal gun owners should not suffer because of the actions of a small number of criminals.

Why should Americans lose their right to own a gun?