Student choice is a bad idea for related arts classes

A SINGLE CHOICE. Sixth grade band members perform in the holiday concert. Band, orchestra and chorus are the only three related arts classes students can actually choose.

Michael Fanning

Caroline Miller, Staff Writer

Students have been taking part in related arts classes for years. Related arts classes give students a chance to learn more about themselves and discover new hobbies. For some students, related arts classes may even help them discover their future profession. Many students wonder why they are not allowed to pick their related arts classes at Sevier Middle.

Currently, related arts classes change every nine weeks to give students a variety of experiences. Although students can choose to get involved in band, orchestra or chorus, other related arts classes are assigned by the school’s counseling office.

One reason why students should not be able to pick their own related arts classes is because everyone wants to be with their best friends. Many students would choose the same related arts classes as their friends. That doesn’t help students make new friends or experience new things.

When the school chooses related arts classes for students, they are more likely to be with new people. It provides a chance to build new relationships.

Another reason students choosing their own classes is a bad idea is because they would probably choose one of their favorite related art classes over and over again. For example, students who really like gym class would pick it repeatedly. What if they are really good at art? They would never find out about their talent if they only picked gym over and over again.

Crowding and staffing is another reason why students aren’t allowed to pick their own related arts classes. Some classes are more popular than others and those classes would be overcrowded. Then, there would be more students in a classroom than a teacher can manage, so if the students get out of hand, it might cause the teachers a lot of stress.

Another problem is that Sevier has very few related arts teachers, so choices are limited anyway. Choices would only be possible if the school hired more related arts teachers, which would cost a lot of money.

Students are required to have gym by state law, so that also limits students’ choices. Every student has to participate in gym at some point, so that is at least one quarter they would not have a choice, anyway.

In middle school, students do not get to choose their related arts classes, but in high school, they have the opportunity to choose their electives. This is because in middle school, some students still do not know what related arts classes they might like.

Middle school is about exploring new things to figure out what you like. It’s not possible to know what you like if you don’t try new things.

This fact, and limited staff resources, make it a bad idea to let students choose their related arts classes.