Focusing on classwork is too difficult while listening to music in class

READING WITHOUT MUSIC. Sixth grade student Cassandra reads a book in the school library. Teachers argue that students cannot focus on their reading and classwork if they are listening to music.

Caroline Miller

Samayah Wolfe, Staff Writer

Students come to school to learn and prepare to get a good job. In order to get a good job, students need to get good grades, and to get good grades, they need to listen and learn at school. Music, however, can make it more difficult to study. Although students are always looking for an excuse to listen to music at school, it is a bad idea.

People singing in your ear is  a lot like reading a book while somebody is trying to talk to you; you can’t focus on your work. It is true that some music can help calm students down and relax them. In middle school, however, students will take advantage of the privilege and avoid learning.

Another problem in middle school is that students often try to listen to inappropriate music. Inappropriate lyrics can distract students from what they need to do to be successful in school.

Some students believe that music helps them study and learn. New research from the University of Wales Institute in Cardiff, however, states that listening to music can damage your performance on certain study tasks.

A lot of people like music and like to listen to their favorite songs while they work or drive in a car. People who listen to their favorite songs sometimes can get carried away and sing or hum the lyrics. This is a big problem in class, where students don’t just focus on the lyrics of the songs instead of the work, but can also become a distraction for other students’ learning.

Also, some students like to tap their foot or tap the desk or make other sounds while listening to music. Some try to make sounds to follow the beat with their hands, feet or mouth. This is also a serious distraction to others around them.

Music in class can be a huge distraction for other students. According to a small study from Taiwan, 133 students performed reading comprehension tasks while listening to either light classical music, hip hop, or no music at all. Students who did not listen to music while reading had the highest scores.

Listening to music and focusing on classwork is hard to do while listening to music. Music can make students too comfortable and doze off. Listening to music while working isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it is a distraction for students who are trying to learn.

Music with lyrics is more distracting than lyrics without music, according to studies. Loud music is an even bigger distraction. Listening to loud music with lyrics makes it almost impossible to learn anything.

Based on research, it is best to try to focus without listening to music in class in order to grow students’ learning ability.