Teachers should be more open to letting students listen to music in class

ENJOYING THE MUSIC. Many students use their devices and listen to music in the gym before school starts. Most would like to be able to do so in class, too.

Audrey Edwards

Sophie Williams, Staff Writer

Listening to music is a desired activity in class. It helps some students study and improves their focus. Many teachers dislike this activity and will not allow students to listen to music in their class. Music, however, can be helpful in many ways.

According to neurosciencenews.com, students who listen to music learn to distinguish sensory information from noise. Music can also help students with learning, language and memory.

So, it is no surprise that students may find it more effective to study and do individual work while listening to music. Listening to music can also help motivate a student to work in class and bring positivity into their state of mind. Music can put a student in a brighter mood.

Some teachers believe that only certain genres of music could affect the way a student in a positive way, such as classical music. That is wrong. All genres of music are helpful and have a positive effect on the way students work.

According to PBS, music stimulates parts of the brain. That is why music can help bring back memories to people who have Alzheimer’s disease, dementia or other memory-loss illnesses.

So, while students are listening to music in class, the lyrics and melodies can enhance the  memory of what students are studying.

Listening to music in class also helps students get work done quicker and helps them concentrate more than talking to classmates. Listening to music creates a more peaceful environment in classrooms and creates a more studious solitude for students.

According to a Colorado State University, music can even help people control their emotions. Students who don’t “feel” like learning can change their minds thanks to music.

The right song or type of music can create more attention and focus and draws students away from boredom. Music creates more positivity, motivation and energy for students to work.

Music can also help with stress. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, music can reduce stress for people with health problems and ordinarily healthy people. Research proves that soothing music can decrease blood pressure, heart rate and anxiety levels. Since school can be very stressful, students need music to help relieve this stress.

Considering these facts, teachers should be more open to letting students listen to music in their classes. Music has clear health and learning benefits. It is not a distraction, it is a benefit.