Commentary: grades are important in middle school

DISCUSSING GRADES. Social Studies teacher Rebekah Tipton meets with a parent during open house. Grades are one way teachers report student progress to the parents.

Karla Hernandez

Charles Deng, Student Life Editor

Imagine a world without grades. While the prospect sounds amazing, it also eliminates the ability of counselors to help students choose their courses based on their strengths and weaknesses in the classroom environment. Without grades, it would be harder for students to get college scholarships, because of the lack of skill acknowledgment. This is why grades in middle school are needed to prepare for high school and college.

While grades don’t define a student, they do define what they are proficient in and what they are not proficient in. According to ThoughtCo, many schools use a 1-4 grading scale that show students if they have mastered a standard or not. These grades allow students to know what they need to work on, such as bringing a 2 to a 3 in literacy or a 3 to a 4 in math.

Tests and classwork always have a grade in the end. These grades show students their ability and shows teachers what they need to work on. These grades also show students what classes they should take in high school and in college. For example, a student with an “A” in math will be more likely to take honors math compared to a student with an “F”.

Because thousands of students apply for college each year, most colleges look at high school grades to decide which students earn admission. According to US News, colleges look at grades to see who deserves admission. So, if a student takes good classes and gets good grades, he or she has a better chance to get into college compared to a student who does not try and has a bad grade. That is why grades in middle school are important; they prepare students for high school and college.

To go to college costs a lot of money and good grades can help. Many colleges look at students’ GPAs to see if they are eligible for a scholarship that helps pay for tuition. According to “Edublox”, good grades help students get scholarships, which leads to less student debt. This also provides the benefit of having less burdens to worry about in the future.

Grades are also important in preparing for high school because they help teachers and counselors guide students to the best classes for their ability levels. Without grades, it would be harder for teachers and students to know their academic ability and the progress they are making in class.

Grades also help students prepare for high school and beyond because they show students how they are improving and what they need to work on. Without grades, students would not be able to see how they or know how to fix their mistakes.

While not everyone likes grades, they do help students get scholarships and motivates students to do better. They are an important form of feedback and need to stick around in middle school.