Commentary: Trump is wrong about video games

NOT THE REAL CAUSE. Video games do not cause mass shootings, despite what some politicians believe.

ShayLeigh Honaker

Rayna Welsch, Staff Writer

There was a shooting on August 3rd at a Wal-Mart in El Paso, Texas. Twenty-two people were killed and twenty-four were injured. Right after this incident, president Donald Trump gave a speech about the shooting.

“We must stop the glorification of violence in our society,” he said. “This includes the gruesome and grisly video games that are now commonplace. It is too easy today for troubled youth to surround themselves with a culture that celebrates violence. We must stop or substantially reduce this and it has to begin immediately.”

Trump is so wrong about video games being the cause of mass shootings. Mass shootings are always caused by hate; the shooter hates something or someone. Some shootings are caused by racism, like the El Paso shooting.

According to NPR, “the alleged shooter confessed that he planned the rampage and drove nearly 10 hours from Allen, Texas, to the border city with the intention of targeting ‘Mexicans’.” This is clear proof that it is just not a simple thing like video games that causes shootings. It’s all because of hate.

According to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, some younger children start to show more violent actions after playing games that include violence. Even then, ten year old children are not holding a gun and shooting up the nearest candy store. Most teenagers and adults do not become more violent after playing any type of video game.

According to the American Psychological Association “scant evidence has emerged that makes any causal connection between playing violent video games and actually committing violent activities”” They are just an excuse for people who do not want to focus on the real problems.

According to the New York Times, politicians have blamed violence on video games for decades. Video games were blamed for shootings at Columbine High School in 1999 and at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in 2018.

This clearly shows what this is all about. The politicians have no evidence that video games are really the cause of violence. They don’t care; they just think video games are something to blame and hate, without doing any of the research. They just blame what kids do in their free time.

In the 1950s, people blamed comic books for violence. In the 1960s and 1970, they thought it was rock music. In the 1980s, they started blaming violent movies. Now, in 2019, it is video games. They never, ever tried to confront the real problem.

So, Donald Trump was wrong about video games being the cause of mass shootings. If Trump and his fellow politicians really want to stop mass shootings, they have to stop blaming video games. Instead, they need to stop encouraging people to fear and hate each other, and instead talk about working together and helping each other overcome some of the issues the world faces.

There should be more control over guns, too. It isn’t right to put a ban on all weapons, because they are for protection. Still, there should be more background checks. Instead of blaming video games, Trump should encourage congress to pass some laws that will actually make a difference.

They just want to blame the easiest target. That is wrong.