Corporal Punishment in schools should bee outlawed

Anna Harrington, Staff Writer

A student sits in class, goofing off. Suddenly, they are taken out into the hallway and come back crying. They have just received a corporal punishment, which means beating kids for misbehaving. They are a good student for the rest of the year; was it really worth it?

Some schools are bringing back corporal punishment. The “Georgia School for Innovation and the Classics,” a charter school in Georgia, is actually bringing back paddling, the act of beating a student with a paddle. Parents received a form to consent. The form stated that the students would receive corporal punishment after three offenses.

Students would be taken to an office, place their hands on either their knees or a piece of furniture and be struck on the butt with a paddle. If parents do not consent, they would have to agree to a 5-day suspension.

On the one hand, it may seem like this approach could work. Most kids become quiet after receiving a few thorough spankings, so wouldn’t it be an effective way to discipline? Well, it is not an effective way of discipline.

According to “Independent”, a news source from the United Kingdom, several studies led by Dr. Elizabeth Gershoff of the University of Austin, Texas, concluded that corporal punishment makes students more aggressive and more anti-social.

A report from the “American Association of Pediatrics, released in 2016, states that the more children are spanked, the more anger they report as adults, the more likely they are to spank their own children, the more likely they are to approve of hitting a spouse, and the more marital conflict they experience as adults.

According to the report, spanking has been associated with higher rates of aggression, more substance abuse, and increased risk of crime when used with older children and adolescents.

Despite the scientific evidence that corporal punishment does not work, some schools still use it. Some of these schools are a lot closer than one might think. According to the Kingsport Times-News, Tennessee is among the 22 states who allow corporal punishment in schools. Nine hundred and seven of the 1,798 public school allow corporal punishment. Luckily, Kingsport City Schools does not.

Some nearby school systems that do allow corporal punishment, according to Kingsport Times-News, are Claiborne County, Cocke County, Greene County, Hancock County, Newport City and Washington County.

A recent study, completed by the Tennessee Comptroller’s Office of Research and Education Accountability, states that students with disabilities received corporal punishment at a higher rate in Tennessee than students without disabilities.

Anyone with half a brain cell knows that this is the worst course of action, considering that students with disabilities have special needs and react worse to corporal punishment.

Based off all of this evidence, corporal punishment should not be going on in schools. Thankfully, some local school systems agree. In October, the Hawkins County school board voted 5-0 for a policy abolishing corporal punishment in all of its schools.

Sadly, some people just don’t care about the evidence, and continue to go through with these punishments. Too many schools in Tennessee allow it, and it is time to finally outlaw corporal punishment in schools statewide.