School Shooting Lawsuit Dismissed

Karmela Whiteside, Staff Writer

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is in one of the United States’ top ten largest education districts. On February 14, 2018, nineteen-year-old former student Nikolas Cruz opened fire at the school. The shooting traumatized hundreds of students, left 17 people dead and 17 wounded.

In March of 2018, the school district and the Broward County Sheriff’s Office were presented with dozens of lawsuits claiming that they had not protected students and teachers during the mass shooting.

Fifteen traumatized survivors and their parents came together and filed a lawsuit against school district,the sheriff’s office and the superintendent for not protecting the students and making these mistakes.Unbelievably, the judge rejected the case.

According to CNN, Judge Beth Bloom wrote that the school and sheriff’s department had no duty under the 14th Amendment to protect students from Cruz. That’s ridiculous.

The 14th amendment states that ¨no State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.¨

The school and sheriff’s office should help or do something about the students that were traumatized during the experience. Many parents whose children were killed during the shooting believed that it was the Broward County Public Schools fault that their children are no longer with them.

Coach and security monitor Andrew Medina did not call for a lockdown after he watched Cruz get out of an Uber with a rifle bag. Why would the Uber driver let him off at the school and not call somebody and tell them that somebody with a rifle bag was coming to the school. More importantly, why didn’t Medina call a code?

Marjory Douglas also failed to follow basic security measures. Most of the schools in the United States have ¨hard corners¨, which are basically planed places for students to hide if anything like a shooting did happen. Apparently, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High didn’t get the memo.

Then there’s the fact that the Broward County sheriff’s office had many interactions with Cruz before the shooting, including when Cruz posted pictures of guns on social media and claimed he was going to shoot up the school. Why didn’t they already have a whole SWAT team around that school and everyone evacuated.

Three sheriff deputies are claimed to have been seen just standing outside the school instead of going in to try to stop the shooting from happening.

Basically,Judge Bloom said no one could have done anything to stop the shooting, which Medina and the sheriff’s office could have. She also seems to think nobody could have done anything to keep students and teachers safer, which is also not true.

Judge Bloom claims that the 14th amendment states the state will keep people in their custody safe, such as prisoners, but that students are not included in that.

Students are in the custody of the state when they are in public schools, much like prisoners. Judge bloom states that it is not law enforcement or school districts job to keep students safe. This is simply not true. Judge Bloom is technically saying children can do anything they want while at school. It’s like if, when two students are fighting, teachers are standing there and chanting ¨fight, fight¨.

This lawsuit should at least be reviewed, strictly for the purpose of justice for the survivors and the victims that are no longer with us.