Sports Injuries

LeBette Long, A&E Editor

Injuries in athletes are common since they put their bodies through multiple obstacles.

There are different injuries associated with different kinds of sports. The most common injuries in football players are concussion; tennis players and baseball players usually have injuries in their arms or knees. Catchers usually have the most problems with their knees because of the position they put their bodies in.

These are just a few of the different types of sports injuries. There are other common injuries, lots of them involving tears in muscles or broken bones.

At Sevier this year, the football team had several players sustain injuries. It is very hard on the team and on the player when an athlete is injured. The coaches have to replace that player and move other players around in order to substitute for the injured player.

“What we mostly see are aching knees,” assistant football coach Stephen Baker said. “Football is a very active and physical sport. It requires players to sometimes get down in a 3 point stance, one hand touching the ground, while others are back pedaling. Player knee’s banging together are typical or a player knee being jammed on the ground really hard.”

One player on the football team, Hunter Hart sustained multiple injuries including a concussion, sprains and a fractured ankle.

“During the first game, I dropped my head when on kickoff and I hit a Crockett kid square in the chest and knocked the air out of him,” he said. “I was out for two weeks and had a headache the whole time.”

It was an awful experience for Hart.

“It made me feel like I was letting my team down,” he said. “It killed me not being able to play or practice.”

Even though they players are injured, they still join practices and listen and learn the plays whenever they can. They try to stay involved that way, so that when they are no longer injured, they can just jump back in.

When players are injured, it hurts them the most because they can’t do something they love. If they tried before they are completely healed, it could worsen their condition.

“Each player on the team is at least one injury away from being thrust into the game,” Baker said. “So, we try to practice all of our kids together with the same mindset and responsibilities regardless if they are a JV or Varsity player.”

Keagen Goins also sustained an injury during the season. Goins had a concussion and wasn’t able to play in most of the games.

“The play was ‘rhino,’ where I came off of a block and hit the linebacker,” he said. “Me and him were going full force and our heads collided. I missed 5 games; I played the first and the last.”

Both Goins and Hart eventually got back into the game.

“The only other game I got to play was the Robinson game,” Goins said. “It was weird, because I had forgotten a lot of the plays.”

Hart agreed.

“I got to play after my injury, but only two more games before my ankle [was sprained],” Hart said. “I didn’t get to practice besides right before the game. It felt good to rejoin my team, even knowing I don’t really remember what to do.”

Coaches are very careful not to let somebody play who is not fully healed and rely on medical professionals to make that decision.

“When the players are injured, a physician or trainer gets involved and understands totally what has happened and what is required to heal in order for the player to return to the field,” Baker said. “Coaches are totally removed from making those decisions, all with trained medical professionals.”

Both players learned a lot from the experience.

“It sucks to have a concussion,” Goins said. “I don’t want it to happen again.”

Hart agrees.

“Injuries can happen at any time,” Hart said. “If they do, you just have to get over it and get back out there as soon as you can.”

Injuries are difficult, even for the coaches

“Injuries are always tough and never expected,” Baker said. “As coaches, we really hate to see a player get injured. That part of coaching is sometimes the most difficult.I have experienced some that require surgery or a trip to the emergency room. I believe most every coach would switch places with the player.”