New teacher brings Mandarin Chinese class to Sevier

Rylee Elliot, Staff Writer

John Sevier Middle School added a new related arts class to its curriculum this semester; Chinese.
Most students like the idea of having the chance to take Chinese in middle school.
“The class is cool and fun and it is nice that we get to learn another language,” Samuel Deaton, a sixth grade student, said.
Journey Williams, another sixth grade student, agreed.
“I think it is cool for people that want to learn other languages,” she said.
Students feel that taking Chinese is a good idea for middle school students.
“Because it’s a good, fun opportunity,” Deaton said.
Anastasia Arp, a sixth grade student, agrees.
“It’s interesting and can help us communicate with other people,” Arp said.
According to most students, the teacher, Jessie Xiao, is great at what she does.
“She’s nice and a good teacher,” Gavin Armstrong, a sixth grade Chinese student said. “I don’ t have anything against her.”
Xiao also worked at Robinson Middle School, where she taught Chinese during the 1st semester.
She also enjoys working with kids, which is good, because most students seem to like her.
“She’s a great at what she does,” Armstrong said.
Xiao is actually bilingual.
“When I was a student, I learned the English language,” Xiao said. “It wasn’t hard, but it most definitely was not easy.”
Xiao started her teaching career in China.
“Before I moved to the United States, I worked as a teacher in China teaching the English language,” she said.
Her favorite part of teaching is the projects she does with the kids.
“I think my favorite is doing the paper cutting projects,” she said. “I let the kids cut out things like our national animal, the panda, and the zodiac.”
Xiao really enjoys working with students.
“I love working with the students because I think that it will make my life feel fulfilled,” she said.
Xiao wanted to become a teacher at a young age.
“I think I got the idea of being a teacher when I was very little,” she said. “Teaching English was my major when I was in college, and when I graduated, I realized there was an opportunity for me to teach here, about Chinese words and also the culture, so I came here.”
Xiao moved from China to America only a few years ago.
“I came to America in 2015 during summer vacation, so I’ve been here for nearly one and a half years,” she said. “I think if I can have a chance to come here to an English-speaking country and experience your culture and also teach Chinese, that’s my favorite job. I just enjoy being here.”