Winning is not the only thing in middle school sports

Balu Pushkas, Student Life Editor

Sport are supposed to be enjoyed as a game by players and fans alike; however, this does not seem to always be the case at Sevier Middle. Sevier is famed for its prestigious sport teams, from cross country to football to even golf.

All of these teams have won many games and are known throughout the state. Sevier sports teams have proven their competence and ability to win, but somehow many people think that it is all about winning, and they are infuriated when a team has a losing streak.

Middle school sports are not supposed to be about winning; this is an ideal that coaches and teachers have been telling students, but alas, it seems to have no effect on the masses. There are many reasons why sports can’t just be about winning in middle school.

One of the critical reasons is stress. Many players are in advanced classes and must keep their grades up along with practice, which seems to be more than enough pressure for a normal person. If fans start being disappointed in student athletes when they lose a game, that can add another massive layer stress on an already complicated school life.

This can be catastrophic for players.

Another reason that should be considered is one that many might not think of: time. Time is critical in school life. Players have to devote a massive amount of their time to practice and that is added to homework and extracurriculars, such as instrument play time.

Among other activities, that can all add up to take a massive toll on players. If players are completely focused on winning, they would have to devote a massive amount of time that should be used for academics to sports as well, resulting in lower grades and higher stress level. This is closely related to the stress problem that students begin to have during the end of middle school and throughout high school. The need to win can and will cause a loss of time for academic and family time for players.

Winning is not the main thing that should be focused on in sports; this is shown by the effects it will have on the team’s ability to work together. If the team is focused on winning, instead of trying to work together, one player might try to take the glory because if they focus on only winning, the next step is getting glory for only number one.

Middle school sports have a lot to teach students: effort, teamwork, perseverance, among other things. Whether a team wins or loses, the lessons sports teach to students are still learned. That is why winning in middle school isn’t everything; learning the lessons is.

Balu Pushkas, Student Life Editor

Balu Pushkas is a 7th grader at John Sevier Middle School. Pushkas is a fan of reading, science and history. Pushkas plays the baritone in the John Sevier...