Tiara Hughes overcomes health struggles

Gracie Flanary, Staff Writer

Tiara Janet Hughes is an eleven year old sixth grade student. Hughes has participated in Cross Country and Track; she is very active. Tiara has had seizures for the last six years.

“My doctor does not know what causes them,” she said.

Most people picture seizures as a person shaking uncontrollably, but that’s not what happens to Tiara. She has absences seizures; she does not feel anything and spaces out for a few seconds. She had her first seizure when she was five years old.

“My mom was giving me a bath on Christmas break and noticed me spacing out,” she said. “I went to the doctor on January 3 and was diagnosed.”

She takes three pills each day and cannot get too tired or stressed. Tiara has her seizures occasionally. She knows when she has them and notifies her teacher immediately. “After I have a seizure, it is hard for me to focus on school work,” she said. She is currently participating In Track, but doing this activity requires her to get a lot of sleep. One of her friends, Mikade, knows about her seizures and talks to her and calms her down during or after a seizure.

“My teachers know I have seizures, but there is nothing they can do,” she said.

The seizures made life difficult for Tiara in the past. She used to have 200 seizures each day.

“It got me behind in reading and spelling in Kindergarten,” she said.

Tiara makes a visit to the doctors in Knoxville every six months and makes sure she has all the medicine she needs. Tiara also has some advice for other students who have seizures.

“Don’t over think it and don´t Let it hold you back, because you are just like everyone else,” she said.