News Briefs

Ian Vincent, Staff Writer

Alabama declares state of emergency

Governor Robert Bentley declared a state of emergency on November 1st, 2016, after a gas pipeline explosion. One worker died in the explosion and five others were injured. The fire burned up three acres of land and sent thick, black smoke to the north. A short gas shortage was expected to hit the east coast after the explosion.

Baltimore school bus crash kills six

On November 1st, a Baltimore school bus collided with a transit bus. The crash happened on Frederick Avenue at about 7:00 am. Six people were killed and 10 were injured in the accident. There were no students on the bus when it crashed, but the school bus driver died. The accident is still under investigation.

Fire in Elizabethton injures 2-year old

On Wednesday, November 16, the Elizabethton Fire Department was called to an apartment fire around 6:00 pm. The mother of a two year old daughter died in the fire; the two year old was injured and was sent to the hospital in critical condition. The fire started near a couch, probably because of a candle.

Halloween hay ride crashes and kills 3 in Chucky, Mississippi

On Halloween, a truck hit the back of a hayride in Mississippi. Two kids and one adult were killed in the crash near Chucky in Newton County. Chucky is a small town with only 325 people. Three helicopters and multiple ambulances were needed to transport the victims to the nearest hospitals.