Quarantine is not the fun students expected

Ellie Jackson, Staff

I thought I was going to like quarantine.

I mean, a break from school? A time to do things I’ve been meaning to do, work on my journal and finish unfinished projects? For an overloaded student with a lot of things on their mind, it seems like the perfect getaway to clear your head and get organized.

Honestly, it was too good to be true. At first.

The first week of quarantine was spring break. My family and I went to my grandparents’ house for a week, and we did most of the normal things we do when we visit them. It felt like summer vacation, like there wasn’t anything to worry about.

I tried to not listen to the news; freaking myself out wasn’t going to make anything better. I tried ignoring the intrusive thoughts, the voices in my head telling me to expect the worst. I tried not to give in to my pessimistic side, but it was difficult when there was so much to take in at once.

The second week I was home again. There was hardly anything to do since I could go nowhere in fear of contracting the virus or spreading it to someone accidentally. I had to sit at home, watch TV, normal things people do when they’re bored. I didn’t realize this would have to go on for months.

Weeks passed, the same routine repeated every single day, with the occasional trip around the neighborhood to get out of the house. I couldn’t count the amount of times I’ve ridden my bike around my neighborhood to do something other than sit and stare at a screen.

I’ve picked up various new hobbies, which is one of the few advantages of this situation. My sketchbook is getting filled, I’ve embroidered shirts, I’ve painted landscapes in my backyard on canvases, and even more small projects, as I don’t have anywhere to go or my friends to talk to. I play “Animal Crossing” almost every day, and headphones are always in my ears.

Hardly any of us realize all the positive things that going to school brings us. It’s where we see our friends, we can have an escape from things that may be going on at home, and we can express ourselves. When it was announced we had to stay home, we only focused on and celebrated the negative side disappearing from our lives.

The favorable side of going to school every day was shoved to the side. None of us were prepared for the effects of leaving everything behind.