Hooked On Books: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Samson Obghazi, Staff Writer

The Story
“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” is a fantasy book written by British author J. K. Rowling and the fourth novel in the “Harry Potter” series. At Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, it is announced that they will hold the “Triwizard Tournament” with foreign magic schools Beauxbatons Academy and Durmstrang Institute.

Harry Potter is somehow entered into the contest, even though he’s not old enough to participate. He now has to compete in the Triwizard Tournament and survive the magical tasks.

The Good
“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” is a very engaging book. It makes the reader want to read more. There is some action, but here is also a lot of humor, like when Professor Moody turns Draco Malfoy into a ferret.

The characters are pretty well-known at this point in the series, and the all act in-character. The dialogue is snappy and moves along quickly. Although this book is a lot longer than previous “Harry Potter” books, it is still very entertaining.

This is also the “Harry Potter” book where the writing gets a lot darker because characters tend to die a lot more than before. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because it makes the action much more suspenseful. The reader never know which characters could die.

The Bad
“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” is too slow paced. In some places Harry spends too much time on other things and doesn’t focus enough on the “Triwizard Tournament”.

Too many of the characters also underestimate Harry despite the fact that he has survived worse situations than the tournament. The book tries to make Harry Potter the underdog, although he has already been a hero for the last three books.

The Bottom Line
“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” is pretty good because it has a lot of action and some humor, but it is a little slow paced. This book deserves an “A-”.