HOOKED ON BOOKS – “Finally” –

Emma Kimbler, Staff Writer

THE STORY

The book ¨Finally¨ by Wendy Mass is about a girl, Rory Swenson, that turns twelve. She has a list of what she wants to do or get when she turns twelve. She gets a phone, she wears makeup, she walks to school, gets her ears pierced, and shaves her legs. Her friends can finally go to the mall with her alone, so all of her dreams are about to come true. A lot of bad things happen to her, too. Every time one of her wishes comes true, something bad happens. Will she have the amazing birthday she was asking for, or
will it end up a disaster?

THE GOOD

The message of the book is all about how pretty isn’ t perfect, but being yourself is. It’s what’s on the inside that counts. This book is fast-paced. Rory, the main character, is talking one day, and then it’d be two days later. The dialogue is realistic. Rory, her friends, her family, and new friends she meets along the way are very interesting and likeable. Although Rory is inexperienced, she wants to get more experience. Her friends are experienced, and are glad that she is getting more experienced. Rory’s family helps her out with the bad things that happen to her. And her new friends are interesting, because Rory helps them and they never see her again, or do they?

THE BAD

The book was a little long for my taste. It was just focusing on one thing, but in too much detail. Things were always happening to Rory, awful things. Nothing interesting happened to the other characters. It would have been nice if some of the other characters could have reacted to some events, too.

THE BOTTOM LINE

The book ¨Finally¨ by Wendy Mass is great. The book is a bit long, but fun. The author made good choices of characters, especially the new friends. The story builds good suspense. There was barely anything wrong with it, just a couple things. This book is amazing.

Emma Kimbler, Staff Writer

Emma Kimbler is a sixth grader at John Sevier Middle School. Kimbler enjoys taking pictures, reading, and writing. Kimbler also plays clarinet in band...