“The Emoji Movie” Review

Parker Galloway, Staff Writer

THE STORY
“The Emoji Movie” is about an emoji named Gene, played by T. J. Miller, in the city of Textopolis, which is located in a phone’s messaging app. It revolves around Gene trying to make his normal expressions, like every other emoji in the city, but to the dismay of everyone else, he manages to make the wrong expression. This causes Alex, their user, to come to the conclusion that his phone is malfunctioning, so he schedules an appointment to have everything removed from the phone.

Since he feels bad for the danger he put everyone in, Gene finds a little place called the “Loser Lounge” and finds another unpopular emoji named “Hi-5”, and tells him about his situation. Hi-5 tells him about a hacker named Jailbreak who could possibly reprogram Gene into being a functional emoji. The two go on an quest to find this hacker to fix Gene and save everyone in Textopolis.

THE GOOD
The music really shines in the most emotional parts of “The Emoji Movie”. The usage of modern songs really blends with the happy-go-lucky feeling of the film.

The animation was also stunning in some moments, which can communicate a tone that the viewer might not expect. Younger kids might like the film and how it’s trying to speak to a newer generation that grew up with smartphones.

The movie also conveys a message of “be yourself”, which is fitting for a film about emojis, even though it is a message too many movies aimed at kids try to convey.

THE BAD
Sony was going to produce a new animated film about classic cartoon character Popeye the sailor man. According to rumors online, it was cancelled in favor of “The Emoji Movie”. There was a storm of negative opinions about this alleged decision.

After “The Emoji Movie” came out, negative reviews started flowing. Rotten Tomatoes, which is a website especially known for giving movies a grade based on all reviews, gave the movie an 8% out of 100.

The movie got very slow at times. At the more important moments of the film, it might show something else that the viewer might not have been expecting, since the resolution to the problems kept getting pushed back. It felt like the movies was being stretched out without a good reason.

The writing could have been done a bit better, since the main characters always seemed like they were just waiting for the next part to happen. The jokes, the very few there are, were used only to get from one scene to the next, like a Point A to Point B. The acting was quite inadequate compared to the story and animation, which were in a class of their own.

THE BOTTOM LINE
“The Emoji Movie” was a movie that tried hard to fit in with the newer generation of teenagers, but the movie just doesn’t work. Overall, the movie isn’t one that provides any sort of enjoyment or pleasure. Staying away from this film would probably be a better use of your time.

Rating: PG
Grade: C