The Lego Batman Movie

Haley Dennison, Staff Writer

THE STORY
“The Lego Batman Movie” is about Batman having to save Gotham City from the Joker. If Batman (Will Arnett) wants to save the city from the Joker (Zach Galifianakis) and his plan to take over Gotham, he will have to drop his tough guy act. Harley Quinn (Jenny Slate) is of course by Joker’s side during the whole process, but she also causes some mischief herself.
After Batman stops Joker from blowing up the city, but also breaks Joker’s heart, he comes home to look at old photos on his wall of what was his family. At that point Alfred (Ralph Fiennes), who took Batman in as a son, tellshim that he needs to get over his fear of having a family again.
When Batman is at a party to celebrate the new police commissioner, Barbara Gordon (Rosario Dawson) he takes a liking to her and accidentally adopts orphan Richard Grayson (Michael Cera). They soon have to team up to fight Joker and his crew.
THE GOOD
“The Lego Batman Movie” was directed by Chris McKay, with music by Lorne Balfe. The movie was produced by Warner Brothers Studios. Many talented artists were helped make this movie. The music was especially great. It had classic songs and newer music as well, so everyone could find something to love. Not only did the story bring characters from the original Batman series to the screen, it also included characters from Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Marvel comics, and even movie characters from the 80s.
This is a movie that pretty much everyone can enjoy.
THE BAD
The writers could have explained more about Batman’s past, specifically about his parents.
Someone who watches the “Lego Batman Movie” and has never really watched any other movies or read any books about Batman could end up confused about his backstory. Batman’s parents died because they were murdered, and Bruce Wayne (Batman) was very young at the time. Viewers who don’ t know that would not have known why Bruce became Batman in the first place. Since he saw his parents murdered before his eyes, it made him want to fight crime in Gotham City. It also explains why he is afraid of having a family again, which is a pretty important part of the “Lego Batman Movie”.
THE BOTTOM LINE
“The Batman Lego Movie” is rated PG, so everyone can see it. It is a great movie for the whole family. This is a great movie for anyone who loves Batman or liked “The Lego Movie”.