Hooked On Books – “Wonder” is a moving story of friendship

TRULY WONDERFUL. The book

Alfred A. Knopf

TRULY WONDERFUL. The book "Wonder" is an inspirational story for the Young Adult audience.

Katelyn Burrell, Staff

The Story
The book “Wonder”, written by R.J.Palacio, is an inspirational, realistic story about a ten year-old boy, August Pullman, who has extreme facial abnormalities. He enters a private middle school in Manhattan, where he struggles to be seen as just another student. During his time at the school, he makes a friend, Jack Will, who later seems to have turned on August. Will the two friends find their way back to each other?

The Good
“Wonder” has many twists and shows many characters’ perception of the events. The writing quality is fairly good and captures the interest of the reader.

Author R.J. Palacio uses a lot of dialogue to explain what is happening between characters and expresses humor through some of the dialogue. For example, in one scene, August in the car and wakes up to his parents talking about his new school. Then his parents tell him that his new principal’s name is Mr. Tushman. August’s parents talk about their old reacher, Mrs. Butt, and how they should set up a blind date between Mr. Tushman and Mrs. Butt.

Throughout the book, there are also many inspirational phrases that impact the characters.

The Bad
Although it is a really strong book, “Wonder” is not without some flaws. “Wonder” seemed as if it was moving too slowly and was often explaining unnecessary details. The book slows to a crawl when it gets to the part about Summer, one of August’s later friends. Her side of the story dove too deep and seemed hard to get trough.

Above all, “Wonder” is a good book.

The Bottom Line
“Wonder” is an inspirational novel that many readers can relate to. “Wonder” is a very easy book to read; the events of the book seem like they could happen out in the real world. “Wonder” is funny, relatable and it’s not fixed on one person’s point of view.

The end is very satisfying and shows that everyone deserves a standing ovation at least once in their lives. This book deserves an A-.

Grade: A-