Magnus Chase Book Review

Balu Pushkas, Staff Writer

The Story
“Magnus Chase: The Sword of Summer” is mythological novel by Rick Riordan, the author of the popular Percy Jackson series. The book takes place at first in Boston Massachusetts. It is about Magnus Chase, a 16 year old homeless boy, and his adventures. When he gets an unexpected visit from his uncle Randolph, it causes an appearance of an infamous fire giant. Soon, otherworldly events send him to Valhalla.

There he finds out that his father is Frey, god of fertility, summer and riches. Magnus is forced to go on an adventure with the help of his friends: a dwarf with unusual abilities, a deaf elf and an ex-Valkyrie who is determined to prove herself. Their mission: to find Frey’s Sword of Summer before it is too late.

Their quest takes them to meet a very abusive squirrel, a strange land of hippies and a world of metallurgy wonders. There can be no failure, for if they fail, Ragnarok, the end of the world, will begin.

The Good
Rick Riordan’s experience in writing books based on mythology shows itself in the craftsmanship of “Magnus Chase: The Sword of Summer”. Like Riordan’s other mythological series like “Percy Jackson”, “Heroes of Olympus” and “Kane Chronicles”, the plot is intricate and raises many questions. It ties the ancient mythology of the Norse Scandinavian culture to the modern world. Riordan uses humor throughout the book to ensnare the reader’s interest.

The characters are developed with meticulous care and each has their own woeful story, from abusive parents, to a secret that could destroy a family. Each character uses the lessons learned from their past to their advantage.

The Bad
The story has many great qualities but it lacks the depth of the Percy Jackson books. This first book has only laid the groundwork for the true plot. It was filled humorous encounters; only the final confrontation truly carried weight. The book needs more depth and a sense of heightened emotions.

The intended readers, young adults, may be unfamiliar with Norse mythology, unlike Greek or Egyptian myths. This leaves the author with the tiresome task of navigating the reader’s interest through the book.

Also, the book has to work around some common misconceptions about Norse gods and their mythology. Media giants like Marvel have warped the characters and changed their history, leaving Riordan to write lots of exposition to fix this problem.

The Bottom Line
In the end, Rick Riordan’s “The Sword of Summer” is an amazing book filled with mythological fiction that is only slightly altered from the original stories. It has a beautifully sculpted plot and marvelous characters.

This book is a must read for fans of the Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, and Kane Chronicles series.

Grade: A-